Detail View: John Russell Bartlett Collection: JRB017

Record number: 
JRB017
Title: 
The Ruins of the Church at San Elizario on the Rio Grande
Place: 
east side of the plaza in San Elizario, about 20 miles downstream from El Paso, Texas
Date: 
October 8, 1852
Image technique: 
Pencil and ink sketch on fine-textured paper
Narrative description: 
View of ruins of a church. Bartlett spent the night of October 8, 1852 at San Elizario and, although, this sketch was made by Pratt, textual material was added to the sketch by Bartlett.
Notes: 
Related drawing: none. Personal Narrative derivative: vol. 1, p. 194. The original church at San Elizario was a chapel attached to the Spanish Presidio known as San Elceario. Originally built in 1789, the complex was severely damaged by floods of the Rio Grande in 1829. This drawing represents the remains of that damaged chapel in 1852. The present San Elizario Church was completed in 1883, probably on the site of the former chapel.
Creators: 
Henry Cheever Pratt
Subject: 
Architectural
Normalized date: 
1852.10.08