Detail View: John Russell Bartlett Collection: JRB003

Record number: 
JRB003
Title: 
Church at El Paso del Norte, Chihuahua
Place: 
El Paso del Norte (present-day Ciudad Juárez, Chihuahua), Mexico
Date: 
November 24, 1850
Image technique: 
Pencil, sepia and wash, white on coarse-textured paper
Image dimensions: 
8.9 x 11.4 inches
Narrative description: 
Drawing of a church with figures in the foreground. According to JRB Personal Narrative (vol. 1, 147), Bartlett attended a mass given by the Bishop of Durango at the church in El Paso del Norte on November 24, 1850. The upper left front reads (in ink) "Church at El Paso del Norte;" on the reverse upper left (in pencil) is "Church - El Paso - Chihuahua." It is possible that this sepia and wash was done by Augustus de Vaudricourt, the Boundary Commission's official artist and draftsman, from a sketch by Bartlett, although Vaudricourt did not arrive in El Paso until several weeks after Bartlett attended the mass at the church. This scene, titled "The Plaza and Church of El Paso," was reproduced as a color plate in William H. Emory's boundary report of 1857-1859 (vol. 1, following page 92) and Vaudricourt is listed as the artist.
Notes: 
Related drawing: none. Personal Narrative derivative: none. The church in this drawing was founded in 1659 and is known as Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe del Paso del Rio del Norte.
Creators: 
John Russell Bartlett
Subject: 
Architectural
Normalized date: 
1850.11.24