JCB Map Collection
Cabinet GM737 LaA75
Algemeene Kaart van de Colonie of Provintie van Suriname, ...
Place of Publication:
by Covens en Mortier
Map size height:
Map size width:
engraving, hand coloring
Map of Surinam with inset map of the coast of Guiana showing the area enlarged for the map and with an inset plan of Paramaribo. Cartographic elements include scales, compass rose, location of plantations with names of owners, native American towns and maroon communities, the Jewish Savannah, and where a slave rebellion occured. Decorative elements include ships and coat of arms of Suriname flanked by native Americans. The names of the plantation owners are given in keys at right and left.
This map is the third edition of the "small Lavaux" map, originally published by Hendrik de Leth, Amsterdam 1737. Lavaux had entered the service of the Society of Suriname in 1729.
Phillips, P.L. Maps 3448, v. 9, no. 87-88; Koeman, C. Surinam Bibliography, 12.
The Jewish Savannah, the first permanent Jewish settlement in the New World, was settled first by Portuguese Jews between 1635 and 1639. During the first half of the eighteenth century, the 2,000 inhabitants of the Jewish Savannah constituted half of Suriname's white population.
Aleander de Lavaux